Tuesday 31 October 2017

NaNoWriMo Soundtrack, part I: 'Urn' by Ne Obliviscaris

I was going to do a single 'my NaNo soundtrack post, but I've decided I like it better this way. Every few days, I'll introduce a new album that's inspiring me this November.

So, first up is a new release by one of my favourite bands, extreme progressive metal band Ne Obliviscaris. I don't know if that's the right subgenre description. Close enough?


Because I'm bad at reviews, have a list of five somewhat random list of things about Ne Obliviscaris:
  1. They have the best violin in metal.
  2. One of the vocalists looks exactly like the main character from my 2016 NaNo project.
  3. The lyrics are good poetry as well as being great to listen to.
  4. The last two tracks on this album are 50% of the inspiration for the title of this year's NaNo... which I didn't name 'Haunting perfections of the mirrored void' only because that's awkwardly long as a filename.
  5. This is the 'two male vocalists' duet I've been wishing for pretty much ever since I found out about death/extreme vocals.
Seriously, this album is amazing. It's everything you could possibly want in a follow-up to 'Citadel'. I'll be listening to both albums a fair bit this coming month. Basically, for my taste Ne Obliviscaris is very close to the complete musical, literary, and aesthetic package. Not that there's anything I don't like about it, but... well, I guess my heart was already taken. We'll get to that another day.

Anyway, go listen to this album!

No comments:

Post a Comment