Monday 16 January 2012

Inspiration v. Motivation

I sort of promised myself I'd post on Mondays, so at somewhere close to 1am on Tuesday I guess that means I'm a little late this week. I've been half-heartedly thinking about what to say all day and finally I came up with the topic of inspiration and motivation. People talk about this a lot, but it seems to me that they're always treated as the same thing. On the other hand, I tend to treat them as somewhat interchangeable.

Motivation, inspiration and deadlines... and yes, my writer is a lefty.



As you can see from my nifty little graphic, writers exist in a balance of the forces of motivation, inspiration and deadline. If we assume this is somewhat similar to Ohm's Law we come to the conclusion that Siana is completely mental...

No, we come to the conclusion that a sufficient quantity of any two of the forces will allow a writer to be productive.
  1. Motivation + inspiration = writing
  2. Inspiration + deadline = writing
  3. Motivation + deadline = writing

I can't promise that the quality will be the same in all three cases (I think you really need all three to produce awesomeness) but for each case you will be writing. Most of the time, that's enough.

2 comments:

  1. I adore that graphic. And I think your formulas are beyond accurate. I need more motivations and deadlines in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this. However, I wish I could bottle up motivation and make it into a cake (sort of like Alice in Wonderland) and eat it when I need it but of course I don't live in Wonderland. :c

    ReplyDelete