Tuesday 30 November 2010

NaNoWriMo day 30: all over, red rover

For all my fellow writers who met their goals this November: YOU ROCK!!!

For everyone who failed, epically or otherwise: YOU ROCK TOO!!! Epic fail beats never trying in the first place like rock beats scissors!


So anyway, yesterday at around 73 k, I wrote 'the end' on my novel. Then today I had to go back and fill in a couple of blanks to get the final 2 k. Now it's all over and I'm wondering what to do next...

To tell the truth, I'm a little confused. I don't feel the high of achievement or anything like that, just a sense of... tiredness, I guess. My novel isn't very good, but I can already see that I've come up with a few things that deserve more exploration if I ever decide to come back to it. I came up with a few moments that made me laugh and a few others that made me cry. I created fun characters that I got surprisingly attached to.

But... right now I feel like the story is over, like those characters are done with and they've got nothing else to say to me. My part in their lives is over. That's not actually somewhere I've ever stood before and it's going to take some getting used to. I'm going to kick back for a few days - watch some movies, read some books, spend time with my pets - and then maybe I'll be ready to come back and take stock of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment